Sunday, November 11, 2012

Big 12 Week 11 Recap

Not a lot of football watching for me this weekend due to family commitments.  During the day I was aware that Kansas was giving Tech a run for their money, watched OU pull away from Baylor in the 4th quarter, noticed OSU beating up on WVU, and found out much later the score of the KSU-TCU game.  So, I won't break down the games as usual since I have nothing really to offer by way of analysis.

Prediction: Oklahoma 46, Baylor 26
Reality: Oklahoma 42, Baylor 34

Prediction: Texas 33, Iowa State 32
Reality: Texas 33, Iowa State 7

Prediction: Texas Tech 33, Kansas 22
Reality: Texas Tech 41, Kansas 34

Prediction: Kansas State 40, Texas Christian 26
Reality: Kansas State 23, Texas Christian 10

Prediction: Oklahoma State 39, West Virginia 29
Reality: Oklahoma State 55, West Virginian 34

A great week for the spreadsheet: 5-0, resulting in a 12-2 record overall since the beginning of the project.

Baylor made a slightly better showing than anticipated, though a couple of offensive miscues including a drop by Tevin Reese in the end zone prevented the Bears from giving the Sooners a serious scare.  Texas' defense shut down Iowa State; the Cyclones' window of opportunity for making a statement this season may be closing quicker than I had thought two weeks ago.  Texas Tech...well, there's really little excuse for a ranked team letting this Jayhawk team take it to overtime.  But the Red Raiders did pull out the win in two overtimes.  Browsing the box score, the KSU-TCU game doesn't look as close as the raw score would indicate.  TCU's 10 points came late in the 4th quarter, the touchdown with KSU leading 23-3 with less than a minute remaining in the game.  Finally, WVU's slide continued against Oklahoma State.

Around the country, Alabama managed to fall flat on its face before that other school, an occurrence all the more infuriating because I could not satisfactorily vent my spleen in the presence of my in-laws.  Fortunately my lovely Longhorn wife and I both engaged in a few moments of intemperate screaming during our drive home regarding the matter, so I'm feeling better, all the more when I consider how much the occurrence would seem to be to the benefit of our own most excellent conference.  Oregon took care of business, as did ND.  My rankings, had I a vote, would have those three teams in that order; #1 KSU, #2 Oregon, #3 ND.  Frankly I am not sure ND has a chance to pull itself in my top 2 without a stumble from one of the other teams.

Again, folks, sorry for this week being a bit of an aberration.  I believe I should be able to watch more games next weekend; and the week after that I will definitely have time during the Thanksgiving break to put together an in-depth post including chart analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment